I set a new personal record for the most ridiculous way to send text to myself today.
- Entered into an HTML form
- Saved to a database by the webserver
- Read from the database by a daemon
- Saved to PDF by the daemon
- Copied over a wireless network to another daemon
- The PDF is rasterized by that daemon
- And sent as a fax to an OS serial port, which is actually a softmodem
- The fax line is VOIP, so the fax noise is re-digitized
- Once it gets to the telephone system, it is converted back to an analog signal
- The signal is received by a fax-to-email gateway
- Who even knows what they do to it, but it ends up as a rasterized PDF
- I receive an email copy of my text.
I wasn't even trying to make a convoluted thing. I just needed to test something!